Monday 19 August 2013

Corners Of My Home: Baking Ingredients

 
Since this is a baking blog, and I've shown my dessert library before, I thought it might be nice to show you some other baking corners I've got around here. My pantry is set up so that I always have the basic ingredients I need to bake with. Above is my drawer containing, from top right, cupcake liners, disposable piping bags and tips, edible sprinkles, various chocolates, essences (vanilla and peppermint) and colourings, small jars with leftover nuts/dried fruit/miscellaneous, raising agents (baking powder, bicarbonate of soda), alternative flours (rice flour), and sweeteners (glucose syrup, honey and golden syrup).
 
 
Between you and me, my sealed glass jars are the best thing ever. I use these ingredients every day and the jars make using flour/sugar/salt so easy. In the front row here, left to right, is plain flour, caster sugar (doubles as white sugar which I don't stock), icing sugar mixture (I only bother with pure icing sugar for fiddly recipes), salt and cocoa.

 
The back has self raising flour, brown sugar, coconut, almond meal, cornflour, custard powder and oats (and usually cornflakes) in the very back. I don't use these so often but regularly enough to need sturdy storage.
 
Needless to say, my fridge always has butter, eggs and milk.
 
Other than replacing these ingredients, which I do often, I only need to buy specific fruits or nuts for most recipes. Good organization really makes baking a breeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment