Tuesday 25 June 2013

Maple Oat Caramel Chip Cookies

 
I can't resist buying caramel chips when I see them. My mind immediately turned to cookies but my favourite choc chip cookie recipe doesn't work with caramel chips as it's altogether too sweet. I needed a new recipe. This one works well as the cookie dough itself isn't too sweet; it balances the chips perfectly. The only irk with this recipe is that I found the cookies sticking to the tray as I tried to remove them, as the chips (basically 100% sugar) caramelize on the tray during cooking. To make things more difficult, the maple syrup in these makes for a soft cookie dough which needs to harden on the tray for a few minutes. I took the middle ground (2 minutes on tray) but there were 3 cookie casualties. Suggestions are appreciated for how I could minimize cookie lives lost next time.
 
 



 
Maple oat caramel chip cookies (adapted from here)
 
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup caramel chips
120g butter, softened
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
 
  1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease 2 baking trays.
  2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, salt and caramel chips in a large bowl.
  3. Using an electric mixer, cream butter. Add maple syrup, egg and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and combine.
  4. Drop tablespoonfuls onto baking trays. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool on trays for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment