Monday 7 September 2015

Adventures In Food: Ireland

 
{raisin scones + soda bread}
 
Kyle and I have kicked off our travelling adventures once again, and our first stop outside of the UK was Ireland. From the start we were enjoying soda bread for breakfast and as a side dish, and it is fresh, wholesome, and quick to make! The bread shown above right had a seed mix through it and was my favourite that I tasted. I believe it came from a packet mix which reminded me of the days when I had a bread maker... at the time I envisioned fresh warm bread on weekend mornings, but in reality I was never able to remember to set it up the evening before. I think I will have to start giving soda bread a go on those lazy Saturdays!
 
Raisins seem to be in a lot of baked goods in Ireland, from simple scones to bread puddings.
 
 
{potato feast including colcannon and boxty}
 
Irish food is intrinsically linked with potatoes. There are whole cookbooks devoted to the potato in Ireland. Actually potatoes and bread seem to be the main theme of both Irish cuisine and this post. I wanted to try boxty, which is a potato pancake or dumpling, depending on who you ask. At one particular restaurant in Dublin, I was able to try a few different forms of boxty, including fries (fried strips of potato pancake) with aioli, and as dumplings in a spinach and blue cheese sauce (in the red pot). Both were delicious. The boxty dumplings tasted like gnocchi. I also tried potato bread (on the right) with goat's cheese and semi dried tomatoes. But my absolute hands down favourite was the colcannon, which is mashed potatoes with cabbage and cream in it. Yum yum yum! I think I could eat that every day, forever.

 
{shepard's pie}
 
I was surprised to learn that Shepard's pie is indisputably Irish as it seems to be a British pub mainstay. I had to try a vegetarian version. Also, do not confuse it with cottage pie, as there are important differences (but I can't remember what :) ). If anyone would like to remind me, please leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment