Friday 7 March 2014

Adventures In Food: Laos

 
I have a confession to make. I wasn't that adventuresome with food in Laos. We went to a bakery most mornings where food was more French inspired, had a baguette sandwich for lunch on the majority of days and either ate Western food for dinner or went to a night market with typical Asian street food. Actually, most of the food that I saw in Laos I had seen somewhere in Asia before. There was one notable exception: a traditional Laos picnic. We went on an epic (50km) bike ride one day and this lunch at a waterfall was most welcome. I will definitely be replicating this at home. We each had a parcel of sticky rice, and to share there was omelette, steamed Chinese mustard (my new fave green), and homemade tomato sauce. All were wrapped in banana leaf for transport and eaten with hands in the Laos style. Bananas for dessert. Perfect!
 
Essential phrases (phonetic)
 
hello : sabaidee
thank you : korp jai
bill please : sake bin day
excuse me/sorry : kor tot

No comments:

Post a Comment